Really, everything you need to know has already been written by Matt Haughey.
I’m just reposting his blog here (http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2011/10/how-to-port-your-att-iphone-number-to-a-new-verizon-iphone-quickly.html) , because it’s all you need to know for the upcoming iPhone 5 launch:
How to port your AT&T iPhone number to a new Verizon iPhone quickly
Before you call you will need a lot of info that might take some digging. It requires:
- Your AT&T account number (mine was 12 digits, all numbers)
- Your AT&T account secret PIN (mine was all numbers, 6 digits)
- The last 4 digits of either your Social Security number for a personal account or the business EIN for a business account
- Your new (temporary) Verizon phone number
- Your old AT&T number you’d like to port over.
Once you have all that written down, follow these steps.
- Take out your new iPhone, sync it to your iTunes, probably restore from your other phone’s backup
- call Verizon’s number porting system at 866-465-5415 (probably on a home phone, with speaker phone so you can enter lots of digits)
- Enter the old AT&T phone number
- get an error
- press 2 to proceed
- press 3 to replace a number with an old one
- enter current temp Verizon number
- then they will ask for your last four digits of your Social Security Number or EIN business number.
- Go through the menus, eventually you will need to give the old AT&T phone number again and then your AT&T account number and your PIN on your account.
- You will get a “port request began” success message at the end.
- Hang up and go to verizonwireless.com/port to check the status. It should say that porting is in progress. They say this will take 3-24hrs, but I would suggest waiting about 10-15 minutes before going to the next step.
- Start your new iPhone, dial *228 and follow the prompts to activate your new phone and it should say your new phone is activated.
- Let your phone sit after hanging up. You will be kicked off the Verizon network and then join back on about a minute later, with your AT&T number.
- If your phone still has the temp Verizon number, wait another 5-10min and then call *228 and activate your phone again, when it comes back onto the Verizon network, chances are your old number will be attached to it.
- Wipe/restore your old AT&T phone and sell it to someone else